I have completed the move of the fuse board to the front left 1/4 panel. And all circuits seem to work as before.
This now gives me sufficent space to add the heater matrix and fan to the underside of the dashboard.
Next job is to move the Horn and fuel pump, and drain the coolant from the system.
I spent saturday fitting the seats and seat mounts, with some help from my neighbour (again, thanks frank!!) the MIG welder swung into action to fix the mounting rails in place.
The seat bolting plates were all drilled to 10mm holes, so there is a small amount of movement for getting the seats bolted in.
The seats bolt from the underside, so when fitting the floor plan I will make some holes to fit the bolt, and allow an allen key to be used. Then seal with a rubber blanking grommit. If I need to move the seat, I will need to drill a new hole in the floor pan, which can also be covered with a blank rubber grommet.
Seat holes are 15mm apart, so I can have forward or backwards movement at that interval.
I decided to mount the passenger seat as far back as it would go. To make use of the floor space, and create addtional room to fit the heater matrix fan.
The passenger seat is about 100mm further back than the driver seat. This also allows the driver the chaneg gear and use the handbrake, without elbowing the passenger in the ribs.
I have also created another fuse,relay mounting plate. I think this will be Version 4, but as with most things on the akit car build, you always find a better way to do things, so have to disassemble and re-assemble countless times.
The plate is now bigger, the cover I have acquired for it, now fits to the plate, rather than the plate fitting to the chassis, and the cover fitting over it.
As the fuse plate is now mounting to the front side panel, and not the front bulkhead I have to had to make some changes in the my wiring, shortening some cables and lengthing others. I spent most of sunday doing this, and have about 5 more wires to indentify and fit (I lost the cable indentifiers) but they can only be a few devices, as the cables are purple and blue.
I had to shorten the main battery feed cable, and had some trouble with fitting the battery terminal, I could get the solder to flow as I wanted it to, so I may have to fire up the gas soldering iron to increase the heat.
Just been in contact with Marlin, and the roll cage, windscreen, dashboard problem is now understood.
The gap on the front roll cage leg, from the angle to the bolt hole should be 100mm and not 70mm as on my roll cage. There seems to off been a batch of roll cages made where the distance varies from 70mm to 90mm. Those cages with a 90mm gap should be ok, those with anything less will not fit at designed.
The solution is make a new hole in the roll cage, 100mm down from the angle, the hole will need a sleeve wedling in place.
So I will get some 12m ID diamter 2mm thick bright mild steel, drill a hole and get the sleeve welded into place. A bit of paint and we should be ok.
See this picture for clarification on the hole in question
Heater matrix arrived today from CBS.
Now the fun is going start.
To fit the heater matrix is going to need a re-orgnasation of everything attached to the front bulk head.
To fuel will have to move to the left, to allow for some clearance for the heater pipes,
To horn will need to move to the far right, under the windscreen wiper motor.
and I will move my fusebox from the front bulkhead to the left handside front 1/4 panel by the passengers feet. So I can fit the fan where the fuse box currently sits.
To tap into the water pipes for the heater matrix, I will have to drain all the coolant from the system, remove the raditor and intercooler connections.
Drain the fuel system and remove the fuel tank.
It is a big job, but I would rather do this now in developement than when it is finished.
Work will start on this big front end strip down tonight !!
Collected my seats this morning from Minispeed and promptly set about making the frame mount them in the car, with alot of help from my neighbour again.
Using 20mm square tube with plates welded onto them, the seats will be semi adjustable. I will have to unbolt the seats from the underside, move the seat and then bolt it again in a new hole, which is created in the welded plate. The holes are 15mm apart, this will allow me a level of fine tuning the seat position. The car is built for me, and my wife, and fortunately we both drive without changing the seat position.
I also found a local supplier, Len simpson for a windscreen, who was able to quote and supply for a non-heated windscreen for 200 pounds. The screen is for a Lotus Elise S1, and is referred to as a Green top. Which means it has a built in tint along the top edge acting as a sun shield. I was concerned about the depth of colour against my orange, but it it inoffensive.
This will mean I will need to fit a heater matrix, the parts for which I have ordered from Car builder solutions.
In sizing up the screen position, I have had to move the dash closer to the driver position, and also raise the front edge. This means the front edge of the dashboard, does not quite fit. Welding a new 20mm square bar along the front edge may be the solution.
I have now fixed the roll cage into position.
It is all a bit of an engineering jigsaw to build the Marlin, but extremely satisfying when a solution is found.
Ordered some replacement hoses and connections to get the Turbo output to the intercooler mounted lower to it will fit under the rear clam shell.
The box of parts has just arrived so will see about fitting that as soon as the weather allows.
Door hinges have also arrived from Marlin,
Seats I hope to collect on saturday.
That should open the way to alot of jobs, busy times ahead.