Project EXI

The building of a Marlin 5EXi kit car, using a Seat Leon 1.8T 20v Donor
Main > Archives > 2012 > 05 >
< 11:56:05 >

Wed May 23 11:56:05 BST 2012

Modified wheel arches

Now the larger 17" rims can fit and be fully compressed, it was time to add smoe fiberglass back to the rear wheel arches.
Using the 17" wheels as a template (Fully jacked up with spring removed) I used some cardboard box to make a template, it took a few attempts to get the shape. Covered the cardboard in sellotape, must be branded sellotape and not a copy. There is a particular chemical in branded sellotape, that fiberglass resin wont stick to.
Cut out some fiberglass cloth, mxed the resin and applied it to the template. About 2 or 3 layers thick, and the outside fiberglass job was complete

Removed the rear clam shell from the car, laid it on the ground upside down, and then put 2 layers of fiberglass onto the inside.
The clearence for a fully compressed 15" rim should now be about 1" and a 16" rim should be about 1/2". Plenty given that any suspension that hits the bum stop isnt setup correctly.

At the same time I also added two new rear springs. 8" long and 450lbs spring rate instead of the Marlin supplied 7.5" long and 300lbs spring rate.
These seem to suit the rear weights of my 5EXI much better, and allow greater control on the ride hide, and reduce the osicllating bounce I was getting previously. The 300lbs springs had were fully pre-loaded, and had no room for movement.

I took the car on a test drive, and still have a small problem with the front headlights. When the front left wheel is under load, and steering lock applied, such as at a roundabout. The tyre is catching the back of the headlight mount. With both the new headlights (that went through IVA) and the orignal angel eyes. That were fitted throughout the build. Watch this space as I work on a solution!!!


Posted by Steve | Permanent link | File under: bodywork