Project EXI

The building of a Marlin 5EXi kit car, using a Seat Leon 1.8T 20v Donor

November 2011 Archives

Main > Archives > 2011 >
< 11 >

Tue Nov 29 07:57:20 GMT 2011

Wiper arm & blade

475-Windscreen/P1000109jpg

Now the windscreen was in I needed to address the wiper arm and blade. Measuring from the turret to the middle of the screen was 18", so a wiper arm 18" or 19" would give maximum sweep. From this point the top and bottom of the screen is 14". So a 26" long blade would seem to be ideal.
I was able to find a 19" long wiper blade from a Corsa, and purchased a 26" flat blade from Halfords for £15. Job done!!. It sounds like a large blade but it does clear the most of amount of screen, which I would of thought was the whole idea

Next was to fit the washer jets. A simple job, drilled 2 8mm holes in the dashboard front edge. 70mm from the turret bolt holes. Fitted the two jet heads, and connected up to the washer bottle pump. Filled the washer bottle and aligned the jets. Four jets creates a good spread of water and plentiful so keeping the screen clear shouldnt be a problem

I still had an annoying leak in the water system around the heater matrix control valve. So again took the hosing off, this time I used some PU glue to seal things up. If it leaks now then there is a bigger problem. Refilled the system and went around bleeding the air at key points. In doing so I broke the thermostat wire for the radiator fan control. These cannot be repaired, so I have had to order another one from CBS. In with that order is an IVA ok internal mirror, the adhesive glue for the mirror, some PU glue, adjustable thermostat, and some 13mm nut covers for the windscreen wiper.
The order should arrive today (Tuesday)


Posted by Steve | Permanent link

Mon Nov 21 08:33:17 GMT 2011

Windscreen is in

475-Windscreen/P1000107jpg

Its been a while since I managed to find the time and energy to get back into the garage. But this sunday was the day!!

The first job was to do the final fit on the dashboard, and get it sealed from the front bulkhead, I had to get the underside of the dashboard flat, given the curves on it, making a watertight and airtight seal wasnt going to be easy.

the solution was to use some fiber filler, to fill in the curved areas, that would then let it sit on the fron cross beam of the passenger area.
Once this was built up I use some neoprene rubber, and stuck this on the front cross beam of the passenger compartment. This would then take up the imperfections int he fiber, and allow movement for vibrations etc. Applied some PU glue to the top of the rubber, so the dashboard would be securly held in place, and water tight at the front.
Held in place with the four bolts as before
Ran some PU glue along the undeside of the dashboard, to the wheel arches, so any water spray cannot penetrate into the passenger foot well.

Once the dashboard was in place, and all electrical connections made and tested, the windscreen could go in. I used some spacers to hold it in the correct place. Checked the alignment, removed and cleaned the windscreen. Then with a windscreen bonding kit bought from ebay, primed the glass and the bodywork. Allowed this to cure, and then ran a triangle shaped bead of sealent around the bodywork and frame. Leaving out the spacer area.
Put the windscreen in and aligned it all correctly, once the glue had started to go off, removed the spacers and then filled the holes and gaps with more sealent. Smoothed down with a wooden spatular, and allowed to cure. Removed excess sealent from glass and bodywork, before it went off.
Job done.
Never fitted a windscreen before, and it wasnt that bad, I had taken the time to figure out where the best place to fit the windscreen was, and used the spacers to hold it in. It was a messy job thou, get that sealent on your hands, and its tough to get it off !!! Should of used more pairs of gloves.


Posted by Steve | Permanent link