Project EXI

The building of a Marlin 5EXi kit car, using a Seat Leon 1.8T 20v Donor

February 2011 Archives

Main > Archives > 2011 >
< 02 >

Feb 28 2011

Ignition Barrel wiring

203-VAGConnectors/IMG_5246jpg

Found the problem with the ignition switch, I had #15 and #75 round the wrong way,
#15 is a switched live that is on from stage 1 and starting, with these round the wrong way, the ECU and fuel pumps are turned off, during the starting phase, not good, no spark no fuel.
I have decided to put all the vehicle electrical circuits onto barrel #15, so wipers, horn headlights etc will work when the key is turned and during the starting phase.

I now have to fix these connections permanently with some solder and heat shrink. I am also now using the special ignition barrel connector instead of using blade terminals, this will make removing and fitting the connections easier, as fitting can only happen one way.


Posted by Steve | Permanent link | File under: electrical

Feb 27 2011

Heater matrix hoses fitted

460-HeaterMatrix/IMG_5990jpg

Fitted the new 90 degree hoses to the heater matrix, and all seems well. I have a few small leaks of coolant on the screw and copper washer, should be able to resolve that with a little sealant putty or clean up, may have some debris on the washer.


Refitted the electrical connections to the ingition barrel, but it is not wroking properly, the starter motor wont engage, when they key is turn fully on, I do have an idea as to what the problem is, will invetigate this tonight to see if it cures the problem. I think #30 and #15 connections are swapped.

Filled the system with coolant, and begun removing air locks, radiator is not getting hot, so a serious air lock seems present. With warming the water and letting it cool, these should resolve themselves in time.


Posted by Steve | Permanent link | File under: heating and cooling

Feb 25 2011

Heater matrix silicon hoses

460-HeaterMatrix/IMG_5990jpg

It been a while in a diary update and work ont he 5EXi, as I had flu and been off work for just over a week. That has now burnt its way out, so have been able to get on with a few jobs on the build.

Moved the heater matric up, to allow more clearance for a clutch footrest.
This meant having to change the hose connections for it, I bought 4 90degree 15mm bends from Viper performance, as Viper 180 degree bend have faulty leg lengths 1" long instead of 4" long.

The modified seat frames mounts are now fully welded and painted in black.


Posted by Steve | Permanent link | File under: heating and cooling

Feb 06 2011

Steering column, steering wheel and pedals finally resolved

075-SteeringRackBracket/IMG_5915jpg

I have finally managed to get the steering wheel, seat, and pedals into a suitable and comfortable position. I had to modify the rear steering column bracket so the brake blance bar doesnt hit the collapsable bracket on the column.
The pedal box is now back to original postion, which also meant making up some aluminium plates to cover the other holes for the clutch and brake cylinders that were made.

I orignally made a plate to fix the accelerator to the side of the pedal box, this had to moved down slightly, to allow the electrical connection on the top of the accelerator, this also meant my side panel expansion needed to be changed. So I removed this and made it full length, to accomodate the additional width of the fly by accelartor.

The side panel has been rivetted and PU glued in place.

I have a mountney 300mm steering wheel and have have figured out how to connect the horn button to the rotating steering interface on the orignal column.

My next step is to clean up the side panel expansion, and refit the brake and clutch cylinders.


Posted by Steve | Permanent link