Project EXI

The building of a Marlin 5EXi kit car, using a Seat Leon 1.8T 20v Donor
Main > Archives > 2010 > 02 >
< 00:00:00 >

Feb 21 2010

Painting the driveshafts

150-Driveshafts/IMG_5094.jpg

Today was a good day to start the next big job, and that was to refurbish the driveshafts. Using a drill with wire brush attachments I cleaned up the driveshafts, removde all the rust from each end, to give them a really good clean. Removed the bad paint from the shaft and cleaned up.
A wipe over with some cleaning spirit and the drive shafts were ready for some paint.
When I installed the engine, some of the engine mounts lost their paint, so I also wire brushed these areas ready for a paint touch up.
The starter motor was also cleaned and ready to be given a new lease of live.
I used Hammerite Smooth black, touched up the engine mounts, and the drive shafts.
For the starter motor I Used some left over VHT paint from the engine block. I did not want the starter motor to paint to burn, so VHT was the safer option. Given they can get hot when running, plus its mounted to the enginer block, so heat transfer would be quite high.


Posted by Steve | Permanent link | File under: powertrain